Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Post 1--Behind the curtain


Over the years I have had opportunity to read many novels and wonder how certain concepts or characters were developed. I have also noticed that often the writer’s own comments are limited on those points of interest. Therefore, I thought it would be neat to give readers an inside view of the story as it develops, so they can see a glimpse of how exciting and/or difficult the development can be.

I used to be puzzled with the idea that some writers had extensive notes that they referred to as they wrote a story. It baffled me that an author could write a story without an instinctive detailed knowledge of each character and story nuance. Since beginning this project, I have been humbled and have begun taking extensive notes of my own. This has led me to a greater appreciation of the works of such great authors as J.R.R. Tolkien and Frank Herbert. Anyone that can build entire worlds and civilizations from scratch—with or without the aid of a notebook—is worthy of great respect.

Our intent with this site is to expand it into a behind-the-scenes exposition of the creation of the Turncycle series. We hope you enjoy this and we appreciate your patience until such time as it becomes fully developed.

Feel free to leave comments and impressions as things ensue. I have been gathering plot and character ideas from numerous eclectic sources. There is no reason why you couldn’t be one of them. Just don’t be hurt if your suggestions can’t be fitted into the storyline. I am working with my father as a sounding board on this and I have had to shoot down some of his ideas that seemed quite sound on the surface. There are still parts of the tale that have not been fleshed out in my mind yet, but there are also parts that I already know have to be portrayed in a specific manner…even if I don’t yet know how or why. Even without the flesh, the spirit is still there and that is, after all, what defines the form.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counters
Chicago Internet Service Provider